Are you ready for some football!?
American Football is a sport played with 22 total people, and 11 per team, though less people can play than that. It is both popular in YTP (see "Usage in Poop"), and also a popular discussion topic on Youchew.
The object of the game is for the offense to reach the opponent's end-zone, which is a touchdown (worth 6 points, or 7 in casual games without an extra point).
After a team scores a touchdown, they can either go for the extra point (kick the ball through the goalposts), or they can go for a 2-point conversion (must make it to end zone). If they do not make the extra point or 2-point conversion, nothing happens, they just don't get the extra point(s).
The offense must at least make it 10 yards for a 1st down in 4 plays, otherwise it is turned-over, and the other team gets the ball.
The Yoshi Shuffle
The sport is famously featured in the Super Mario World episode "The Yoshi Shuffle", where Mario thought that it would be a great way to teach the Cave Men organization and teamwork, after Stone Luigi chucked a stone football at him. Sadly, that didn't work, since the cave men have no concept of organized sport. Meanwhile, Luigi was turned into an Egg by Wizardheimer, and was used as a football in a game between the Dome Heads and the Koopa Carcass Crushers (won by the Dome Heads 7 to a big, fat, egg-shaped 0).
- Both John Madden and Hank Hill are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fans of this sport.
- It's a stone, Luigi. You Didn't Make It!!
- There are thirty-two teams in the modern NFL (which is the professional sports league for this sport).
- However, there is only 1 team that is actually undefeated: the 1972 Miami Dolphins (The 2007 New England Patriots tried to join this group, but they failed when they lost to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII).
- There are many video games based off of this sport, such as Tecmo Bowl (and its sequel, Tecmo Super Bowl) and the Madden series.
- Arnold, from the cartoon "Hey, Arnold!", has a football-shaped head.
- Ike from South Park is often used as a football. Many people have kicked him through field goals.
- Hound and Spike tried to teach the Dinobots how to play football. The Dinobots cheated.
- Encyclopædia Dramatica's favorite football team is the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- In Pokemon Black and White, American Football players are now a trainer class, as well as Baseball Players, Basketball Players, Soccer players, and Tennis players.
- The sport has been known to be called Handegg in several circles, most likely due to the fact that you are indeed using your hands to carry an egg-shaped ball to the opponent goal. To the right above you can see a far more literal version involving Egg Luigi as the "ball".
- There were talks of American Football being locked out for the NFL's 2011-2012 season, which, luckily, did not happen. If that would have happened, we would have had to wonder what Mario and Stone Luigi were going to argue about now.
- In the season's corresponding Super Bowl, Super Bowl XLVI, the Patriots and the Giants played a rematch of Super Bowl XLII (when the Giants ruined the Patriots' undefeated season with a victory over them), in Indianapolis. Unfortunately for the Patriots and their fans, the Giants won yet again, in another close game.