Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman was the United States Marine Corps drill sergeant in the movie Full Metal Jacket. He is most famous for yelling at, cursing at, and making fun of his recruits, and generally making their lives a living hell, in order to make them in to proper Marines.
- "I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?"
- "Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!"
- "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on n*****s, k***s, w**s or g******s. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?"
- "WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, NUMBNUTS?"
- "WHY YOU LITTLE MAGGOT, YOU MAKE ME WANNA VOMIT!"
- "Do you suck dicks?"
- "Holy dog shit! Texas?! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
- "Who said that? WHO THE FUCK JUST SAID THAT!? WHO'S THE SLIMY LITTLE COMMUNIST SHIT, TWINKLE-TOED COCKSUCKER DOWN HERE WHO JUST SIGNED HIS OWN DEATH WARRANT!?"
- "WERE YOU ABOUT TO CALL ME AN ASSHOLE?
- "5'9! I didn't know they stacked shit that high!"
- "What have we got here, a fucking comedian?"
- "Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister!"
- "YOU LITTLE SCUMBAG! I GOT YOUR NAME! I GOT YOUR ASS! YOU WILL NOT LAUGH! YOU WILL NOT CRY!"
- "You got a war face! AAAAAAAAHH! That's a war face, let me see your war face!"
- "I don't like the name Lawrence, only sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle."
- "Holy Jesus. What is that? What the fuck is that!? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE!?"
- "If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead Marines. And then you will be in a world of shit. Because Marines are not allowed to die without permission!"
- He was played by Staff Sergeant R. Lee Ermey (ret.), an actual former U.S. Marine Corps drill sergeant originally hired as a technical advisor. R. Lee Ermey would, later, be promoted to Gunnery Sergeant, despite retiring.
- Most of his lines and actions were actually ad-libbed by R. Lee Ermey, who was, essentially, given free will over the boot camp scenes, and came up with most of the insults. He even smacked actor Vincent D'Onofrio in real life when GySgt Hartman smacked Pvt. Pyle on film. So, in other words, R. Lee Ermey made life hell in real life for the actors.
- He even barked an order to director Stanley Kubrick, to stand up when talking to him, causing him to instinctively stand at attention.
- Once prank-called Colonel Nathan R. Jessup,, USMC, pissing him off. He would later end-up getting Non-Judicial Punishment for disrespecting a commissioned officer, a UCMJ violation.
- Ironically, he died without permission. As a result, his soul was given Non-Judicial Punishment in the amount of 30 days restriction and 45 days extra duty.
- He does not discriminate against his recruits, as they are all equally worthless, slimy pieces of amphibian shit.
- Has his own action figure, which has 2 versions: a "family-friendly" version, and an "Extra-Salty" R-rated version. On the TV show Mail Call, one of these action figures is called "Mini-Ermey", and is used to berate a G.I. Joe.