Rugrats is a memorable Nickelodeon cartoon by Klasky-Csupo Inc. It arguably was the most popular of the pre-SpongeBob SquarePants Nicktoons. It was one of Nick's first original cartoons, dating back to the early 90s, and its earlier seasons are considered the best because the later seasons rather blatantly existed only as a simplistic cash cow. Rugrats's most lasting legacy in YouTube Poop is the "Stu Pickles making chocolate pudding at 4 am" fad.
About this show
Rugrats concerns the dangerous and often-Kafkaesque exploits of four toddlers - Tommy, Chuckie, Phil, and Lil. They are emotionally manipulated by Tommy's older cousin, Angelica. Their well-intentioned but somewhat neglective parents serve as the supporting cast, and gave the show many of its wittiest lines.
After its original 1991 to 1994 run, Rugrats experienced a noticeable drop in quality. Paul Germain, considered to be the driving force behind classic Rugrats, left the show following creative differences with Arlene Klasky, who wanted the show to be much more preschool-like. Klasky got her way - the dialogue was dumbed down, Angelica became kinder, and the parent characters, previously the show's backbone, saw their roles vastly reduced.
The most blatant sign of Rugrats's decline were the additions of new main characters, which were desperate attempts to breathe new life into the show that instead only delayed the inevitable (The Fairly OddParents would take a very similar course years later). In the first of three movies, Tommy's mother, Didi, popped out another one and we were introduced to Dil. In the second, the cast visited Paris and Chuckie got an adoptive sister, Kimi, in the process. Sadly, the third movie, which was a crossover with The Wild Thornberries, didn't add Nigel Thornberry to the main cast. He would've made the later episodes of Rugrats worth watching.
Rugrats ended in 2004, although the franchise would continue until 2008 via the All Grown Up! spinoff, which aged up the cast and put them into a generic teenage drama.
Babies and Toddlers
These tykes serve as the show's main cast.
- Tommy Pickles - The main character. His motto is "A baby's gotta do what a baby's gotta do!"
- Chuckie Finster - The one who's nervous and always reluctant to go on adventures. Should not be confused with Chunky Finster, the fat version of him.
- Kimi Finster - Chuckie's stepsister. Basically a female, Japanese Tommy.
- Phil DeVille - Lil's twin. Has several disgusting habits, like eating worms.
- Lil DeVille - Phil's twin. You can tell her apart because she has a bow on her head. The twins have sometimes swapped the bow to cause confusion.
- Angelica Pickles - Tommy's cousin. She is evil, and always tormenting the babies.
- Suzie Carmichael - Angelica's good, black counterpart, with the voice of Cree Summer.
- Dil Pickles - Tommy's newborn brother, introduced in the first movie. He can't talk, because clearly that's what a show with the whole premise "what if babies could talk?" needed.
Although the babies were the prime focus of Rugrats, anyone who watches the show as an adult will realize the parents are the true stars.
- Stu Pickles - Tommy's dad and a toy inventor. Angelica once forced him to make pudding at 4:00 AM.
- Didi Pickles - Tommy's mom. She has ridiculous hair and is obsessed with Dr. Lipschitz.
- Lou Pickles - Stu and Drew's father. He always talks about the old days and frequently falls asleep. Fixated on the number 15.
- Chaz Finster - Chuckie's short dad. Sounds like he always has a cold.
- Kira Finster - Chaz's second wife, and Kimi's mother. Really nothing to say.
- Betty DeVille - Phil and Lil's aggressive, fat mom.
- Howard DeVille - Betty's weak husband who has purple hair and little screentime.
- Drew Pickles - Tommy's uncle and Angelica's father. He's a favorite of the Barney Bunch and really, really, really gay.
- Charlotte Pickles - Drew's workaholic wife. She's always on the phone, talking to some guy named Jonathan.
Pets, TV stars, and other miscellany.
- Spike Pickles - Tommy's dog. Voiced by Bruce Willis.
- Fifi Finster - Chuckie's dog. Marries Spike.
- Oodles the Talking Poodle - A talking TV poodle. You're a dog. Dogs can't talk!
- Cynthia - Angelica's balding doll, who is a really cool dancer.
- Reptar - A dinosaur who stars in movies.
- Jonathan - That guy who Angelica's mom is always on the phone with. His purple skin gives him the look of a Doug character who wandered onto the wrong show.
- Dr. Lipschitz - A "pediatrician" with a hilarious name.
- Nigel Thornberry - Hello, I'm Nigel Thornberry.