Notice: We are aware that many of the Chewiki’s images are still broken. We promise: we will try our best to fix it, but we don't guarantee that the fix will be trivial.
Strike Witches is an anime whose first season was produced by GONZO, whose second season and film adaptation was produced by AIC, and whose OVA series was produced by Silver Link, as part of the mixed-media project of the same name, originally created by Humikane Shimada, who is also responsible for the original illustrations that featured in numerous magazine articles. It takes place in an alternate reality of World War II where the Earth is being invaded by aliens known as Neuroi. Witches, girls with magical potential are equipped with special devices, known as Striker Units, that attach to their legs to fight these invaders while at the same time not wearing pants. It tends to have a bunch of perverted content like panty shots and boobies that are presented in a humorous manner.
The first two seasons and the film of the anime series primarily focuses on the 501st Joint Fighter Wing unit (a.k.a. Strike Witches), which includes:
- Yoshika Miyafuji
- Mio Sakamoto
- Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke
- Lynette Bishop
- Perrine H. Clostermann
- Erica Hartmann
- Gertrude Barkhorn
- Francesca Lucchini
- Charlotte "Shirley" E. Yeager
- Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen
- Sanya V. Litvyak
- Shizuka Hattori (Introduced in the film)
The Brave Witches Spin-off features the following characters of the 502nd Joint Fighter Wing Unit, some of whom made cameo appearances in the OVA or the film:
- Gundulla Rall
- Aleksandra I. Pokryshkin
- Waltrud Krupinski
- Georgette Lemare
- Kanno Naoe
- Shimohara Sadako
- Edytha Rossman
- Nikka "Nipa" Edvardine Katajainen
- Karibuchi Hikari
Other characters from other units featured in the anime include (But not limited to):
- Hanna-Justina Marseille (31st Joint Fighter Squadron Afrika)
- Heidemarie W. Schnaufer (Not affiliated with any unit)
- Ursula Hartmann (507th Joint Fighter Wing)
- Suwa Amaki (504th Joint Fighter Wing)
- Junko Takei (504th Joint Fighter Wing)
- Fernandia Malvezzi (504th Joint Fighter Wing)
- Luciana Mazzei (504th Joint Fighter Wing)
- Martina Crespi (504th Joint Fighter Wing)
- The first season, produced by GONZO, aired from July 3, 2008 to September 8, 2008 and consisted of twelve episodes. This season focuses on the 501st's liberation of the Neuroi threat over Gallia.
- The second season, produced by AIC, aired from July 8, 2010 to September 23, 2010 and consisted of twelve episodes. The 501st rejoin to take down the Neuroi threat over Venezia.
- A film adaption produced by AIC was released on March 17, 2012.
- An OVA series dubbed "Operation Victory Arrow", abbreviated as O.V.A. (haha get it), is being produced by Silver Link, and takes place between the second season and the film. The OVAs will be shown in selected theaters across Japan, with the first OVA focusing on Erica and Ursula, being screened on September 20, 2014, the second OVA focusing on Lucchini, Shirley, and the 31st, on January 15, 2015, and the final OVA focusing on Lynnette, Perrine, and Amelie Planchard was screened on May 2nd, 2015.
- A third season dubbed "Tactics of Vanadis Attack", abbreviated as T.V.A. (again haha very funny), has recently been announced. It is currently rumored to not be focused on the 501st, and may instead focus on another unit.
- A spin-off about the 502nd Joint Fighter Wing "Brave Witches" began airing Oct. 6 2016, also including two new witches (one of whom is the protagonist).
Often Used By
Sometimes Used By
- Anyone who dislikes panty shots or a lack of pants
- All the characters are archetypes of real-life World War II pilots, and even share some traits with their respective archetypes too.
- There exists a fan-decensored version of episode 7 of the first season which removes the obscurities over all genitalia. The home release version of this episode keeps these obscurities intact.
- They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing!
Main Source for Poopers